Saturday 16 February 2013

Start up costs for a solo indie games developer

In an effort to stay transparent and show you other dreamers what I'm going through and what start-up costs are before you even make a dime, I decided to share a short blog on what I've done so far. 

Like I said the aim was to start part time make games for HTML5 mobile devices, which is played via web browsers. I'm focusing my development, to ensure I cut time costs while I only have about 8 hours a week maximum time to work on this endeavor.

I already made the mistake of making a unique game, a derivative of the tower defense genre, instead of copy and pasting a known recipe, but replacing it with different graphics. However, I did save on costs and time by using already made free to use and sell graphics. Make sure that you are allowed to do this first, in this case the awesome author of The Lost Garden allows for this under his published licence.

So things has really started out slower than I hoped, but today I'm making progress again and want to share it with you. I thought by this time I will already have sold a game and then only blog everything of the process. But my game is about 60% complete only functionally, since family and my day to day job took priority. I really recommend that you put in leave to make the final grind to finish and polish a game, instead my family decided I must spend it with them. Well this is extra motivation for me to put in hours after a work day to also enjoy the vacation with them.

To save time I researched what others have done in 2012 to be successful and in this way also purchase an ebook and my game making software as well as some extra java code to extend the GMS (Game Maker Studio) mobile device display and orientation functionality. I also networked, until I found a graphics designer locally whom helped me with the BIG (Boysano Indie Gaming) branding graphics. These type of artists have a different skill-set than that of game animation artists, and I learned that you have to find both types of artists in your resource list. Note my strategy is to outsource game assets, and use software I purchase, while I program and market the games myself. This is the only way you can do this part time. Use other people's time and other peoples skills. In future if my games sell, I will recoup my start-up costs and reinvest 100% in new game assets (graphics, etc.).

The costs for starting up so far: (assuming you do not pay extra for time and internet costs)
1. Software: GMS + HTML5 module on special offer = $ 150
2. Code: java extension for GMS = $ 60
3. Ebook on making money in 2012 with HTML5 = $ 20
4. Brand graphics = $ 37.5
5. Avatar and more brand graphics = $ 25
5. Blogger, Facebook, google+, forums websites and marketing = $ 0 (yes its free to market)

Total start-up costs: $ 292.5
(Note: I already had an iPhone 4 and iPad 3 to test my game on, you may need to buy these as well, or borrow a friends. But while I would recommend buying it when you can, since you must test your games, I do not recommend buying this when you are not sure you can even sell a game, prove this to yourself first!)

It's safe to say you need at least $ 300 to start 'making money by selling games', and a typical HTML5 game will fetch $ 300 - $ 400 per publisher at non-exclusive licence when you sell it. So if you sell your first game, then you can break even and then the more you sell the more profit. Assuming you sell your game to 3 publishers, if it is good enough. Then you have paid back start-up costs (aka risk = zero), $ 300 available to re-invest in a double as good new game for graphics, and another $ 300 to spend or as profit. This is basically one of my strategies.

So note that leaving your job until you have not sold at least 3 games, or your first game 3 times is not recommended. And in time you should build a business which grows and reinvests its own resources and previous successes in other for later months to repay the investment of the start-up phase.

BUT, the best thing is to start and hone your skills and grow yourself. That is why I do this, it is fun!!
Remember 'success breeds success' and is a great motivator...

No comments:

Post a Comment